Hi!! My name is Dr. Amitha Parvataneni, and I’m the lead physician of Hype Healthcare, an elite doctor’s office serving Detroit, Michigan and Lincoln Park, Michigan. In today’s blog post, I’m going to discuss diabetes: what it is, how to help prevent it, and how to treat it.
Diabetes is a chronic disease that occurs when the body can't produce or use insulin effectively. Insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels in the body, and without it, blood sugar levels can rise to dangerous levels. There are two main types of diabetes: type 1 diabetes, which is caused by an autoimmune response that destroys insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, and type 2 diabetes, which is characterized by insulin resistance, meaning the body can't use insulin effectively.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight or obese increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, so it's essential to maintain a healthy weight. A healthy diet and regular exercise can help achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly: Regular physical activity can help prevent type 2 diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing body weight. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, every day.
- Eat a healthy diet: A healthy diet that is low in processed foods, saturated and trans fats, and high in fiber, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, can help prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes, so it's essential to quit smoking or avoid it altogether.
- Limit alcohol intake: Excessive alcohol consumption can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, so it's essential to limit alcohol intake to one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men.
- Medications: There are several medications available to treat diabetes, including insulin, oral medications, and injectable medications. These medications help regulate blood sugar levels and prevent complications associated with diabetes.
- Lifestyle changes: Lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise can also help manage diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing body weight.
- Blood sugar monitoring: Regular monitoring of blood sugar levels can help identify changes and adjust treatment accordingly.
- Complications management: Diabetes can lead to complications such as nerve damage, eye damage, and kidney damage. Treatment may involve managing these complications to prevent further damage.
In conclusion, diabetes prevention and treatment involve lifestyle changes, medication, and regular monitoring. By adopting healthy habits and seeking medical treatment, people with diabetes can manage their condition and prevent complications.
If you want professional care for diabetes related issues, please visit one of our two Hype Healthcare locations:
Detroit: 13641 Seven Mile E, Detroit, MI 48205
Lincoln Park: 2176 Fort Street, Lincoln Park, MI 48146
Joel Bokan, our pharmacy partner at Adonai Pharmacy, has written an excellent follow-up to this blog post called "How We Treat Diabetes with Drugs".
Thank you for reading this blog post!!!